The article I read
was called “Social Media and Political Engagement.” This article was written on
October 19, 2012, by Lee Rainie, Aaron Smith, Kay Lehman Schlozman, Henry
Brady, and Sidney Verba. The publisher of the “Social Media and Political
Engagement” was published by the Pew Research Center’s Internet &American
Life Project in Washington DC. This article is a survey of 2,253 adults who are
adults 18years and older who were asked a series of questions about civic engagement
through people’s use of social networking sites and Twitter.
FIVE KEY POINTS
1.
Politics are taking over social media, and more
people are using social media to promote politics.
2.
34% of social media users have used the tools to
post their own thoughts or comments on political issues and social issues.
3.
31% of social media users have used the tools to
encourage people to take action on a political or social issue.
4.
21% of those who use social media sites or
Twitter belong to a group on social networking site that is involved in
political or social issues
5.
20% of social media users have used tools to
follow elected officials and candidates for office.
FIVE TERMS I DID NOT KNOW
1.
Civic engagement
2.
Attributable
3.
PSRAI
4.
Partisan composition
5.
Ideological composition
REACTION
At first when I got assigned this article
was not to happy about it because I am so tired of being haunted by politics. Then
I read the results, and I was amused with what I found. It is interesting to me
that more democrats use social media than republicans. The younger generation
is using social media to promote political issues than the older generation. I
was not really surprised that the generation 30-49 was more likely to encourage
people to vote than the younger generation, but I was surprised that the
younger generation 18-29 encouraged people to act on political issues.
I find this information interesting because
I personally do not believe in sharing politics, unless it is to make fun of
the politicians. I am also in my 20s and do not
vote, I do not see the point in voting, I do not feel that my voice is
heard and that politics is a waste of time. I also not like the fact that all
these people lie to you; I just do not like liars who just care about hurting
each other instead of improving our country. I tell you this because when I see
all my friends sharing their political views over social media, it upsets me. I
sometimes feel that they are forcing their views on me, and it in a way makes
me judge them. Our forefathers wanted a
silent ballad for a reason, it was so we did not judge people on political
beliefs and get separated by our views and our votes. It is weird to be that
social media is a way to share our lives, but some things are meant to be
private, in my opinion.
I just found the whole article interesting
that younger people are trying to push politics on social media sites. However,
I do think that it is cool that politicians use social media to connect with
voters, I think it is important for people to see politicians as people and
vote on a person not a party or a figure.
I guess my overall rant is that we use social
media to share everything, and when people take up my news feed on Facebook
with nasty comments about politics I personally do not want to be friends with
them. I think there should be a restriction on politics on social media, that
way we can get away from the stress of people hounding us with beliefs and keep
something’s private.


No comments:
Post a Comment